Saturday, May 18, 2013

Green Bean Casserole 2.0

I'm usually too much of a food snob to admit to liking anything with a cream of mushroom soup base, but I do I love the ubiquitous Thanksgiving green bean casserole. I also love fresh green beans, but my son, who eats at my house frequently, doesn't care for them (and I give him a pass, because he eats everything else on the planet). I noticed that him eating the casserole on Thanksgiving, though, and enjoying it. So I set out to find a better version, one I could use in the summer with the abundant fresh green beans, and wouldn't feel so heavy. After a little trial and error, and adjusting of existing recipes, here it is. Bonus: you can make it in a slow cooker. Try it out on your green bean hater. Mine loved it!

Green Bean Casserole 2.0
 1 lb. fresh green beans
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup french-fried onion rings
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, sliced
1/4 cup water
1/8 tsp. black pepper

Layer half the ingredients in a slow cooker, then repeat. Cook on high for about 3 hours or low for about 5 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment